How Inlays and Onlays Procedure Help in Treating Dental Damage & Decay
Are you suffering from dental damage and tooth decay? If yes, then you can undergo inlays and onlays treatment that replaces old metal fillings for a cosmetic solution. Some restorative dentistry treatments such as inlays and lays can help to regain your beautiful smile and improve oral function.
About inlays and onlays
Inlays and onlays are said to be restorative treatments that help in treating oral complications. They are usually made of tooth-colored materials such as porcelain or composite resin that form a seamless blend between your natural tooth and the oral restoration. Inlays and onlays are used for treating dental cavities, replacing old metal fillings and repairing teeth that have mild or moderate damage. Though inlays and onlays are similar, they are different in the following ways:
- Inlays: Inlays are used to treat small areas of tooth decay than onlays. They are specifically used when decay remain isolated within teeth cusps.
- Onlays: Onlays, also known as partial crowns, are used when dental damage is severe and extends much beyond one or more cusps.
The procedure of inlays and onlays
Inlays and onlays are made in a customised way so that they blend and fit perfectly. The procedure for inlays and onlays is the same which require seeing your dentist once every six months. During the first dental visit, the tooth gets prepared for the treatment by removing decayed or damaged areas and then cleaning the tooth thoroughly.
The coloring of tooth restoration is determined and impressions are made of your natural tooth. The impressions are then sent to the laboratory, where inlays or onlays are custom-fitted. An inlay or onlay is placed temporarily while restoration is being made. After the restoration is ready, you need to fix another appointment with the dentist to remove temporary inlays or onlays and finally, place the restoration.
Advantages of inlays and onlays
There are several benefits of inlays and onlays, both aesthetically and functionally. They provide strength to your damaged teeth and thus, help to improve your overall appearance. Some of the benefits of inlays and onlays are:
- Extremely durable – They are made of composite resin and can last for a long time, if taken proper care.
- Preserve your tooth – They are attached directly to the tooth which requires not removing your natural tooth for placement.
- Tooth will not get discolored – Silver amalgam fillings can discolor the teeth to grayish tint over time. Tooth-colored inlays and onlays help in maintaining whiter and brighter appearance.
- Restore the strength – As inlays and onlays are bonded directly to the teeth, they help in restoring oral strength and structure.
- Improve overall appearance – They are custom-made that match with your natural tooth, repair any kind of damage and restore your appearance.
Inlays and onlays can help in restoring your teeth appearance and improving your smile. Thus, if you want to treat dental problems or replace old metal fillings, then it is advised to go for inlays and onlays which is the right treatment for your case.